How to Make a Vegan Caprese Sandwich
Use fresh tomatoes and basil from your garden to make this delightful grilled cheese sandwich. Serve at a luncheon with soup or a salad, or make bite-sized sandwiches and serve as warm hors d'oeuvres.
There is nothing better than a homemade sandwich. Except if it’s gourmet. And caprese. And it's made with fresh pesto. This caprese sandwich with melted vegan mozzarella cheese is delicious and quick comfort food.
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tbsp vegan pesto
- 3 to 4 slices tomato
- 2 to 3 slices vegan mozzarella
- 1 tbsp olive oil or vegan butter
- 2 bundles of basil
- 1 bundle of spinach
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews or pine nuts
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- Additional water or olive oil if needed
- Add all the ingredients into a food processor or high-powered blender. Blend until the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add more salt, pepper or any other ingredient to taste. This recipe will yield approximately 3/4 to 1 cup of pesto.
- Spread vegan butter or olive oil on one side of the bread slices.
- On the other side, spread about 1 teaspoon of vegan pesto.
- Add slices of cheese and tomato. Close the sandwich.
- Add cooking oil to a heated pan or grill and place the sandwich on top of it. Add a little oil to the pan when you're ready to flip the sandwich. Cook on both sides until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.