How to Make a Vegan Caprese Sandwich
Use fresh tomatoes and basil from your garden to make this delightful grilled cheese sandwich. Serve at a luncheon with soup or a salad, or make bite-sized sandwiches and serve as warm hors d'oeuvres.
There is nothing better than a homemade sandwich. Except if it’s gourmet. And caprese. And it's made with fresh pesto. This caprese sandwich with melted vegan mozzarella cheese is delicious and quick comfort food.
Ingredients for Sandwich:
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tbsp vegan pesto
- 3 to 4 slices tomato
- 2 to 3 slices vegan mozzarella
- 1 tbsp olive oil or vegan butter
Ingredients for Pesto:
- 2 bundles of basil
- 1 bundle of spinach
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews or pine nuts
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- Additional water or olive oil if needed
- Add all the ingredients into a food processor or high-powered blender. Blend until the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add more salt, pepper or any other ingredient to taste. This recipe will yield approximately 3/4 to 1 cup of pesto.
- Spread vegan butter or olive oil on one side of the bread slices.
- On the other side, spread about 1 teaspoon of vegan pesto.
- Add slices of cheese and tomato. Close the sandwich.
- Add cooking oil to a heated pan or grill and place the sandwich on top of it. Add a little oil to the pan when you're ready to flip the sandwich. Cook on both sides until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.
Vegan Potluck Ideas and Recipes 13 Photos
From brunch and desserts to savory meals, browse our 12 favorite vegan recipes and menu ideas to create a satisfying, healthy and delicious feast.