Chocolate Stout Pudding Recipe
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups dry stout
1 3/4 cups heavy cream
4 ounces high-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1. In a glass mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar (Image 1). Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan combine 1/2 cup of dry stout and 1 1/4 cups heavy cream (Image 2). Whisk to combine.
3. Set over medium heat until mixture begins to bubble around the edges of the pan. Remove from heat, add chopped chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted and smooth.
4. Pour chocolate mixture into egg mixture, tempering slowly.
5. Return mixture to saucepan and place over medium-low heat.
6. Cook until mixture thickens, whisking constantly.
7. Divide into glasses leaving about 1-inch space at the top of each glass. Cover and chill in refrigerator until set.
8. While pudding chills, pour 1 cup of dry stout into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat (Image 3).
9. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced to about 1 tablespoon. This will take about 20 minutes. Pour syrup into a small bowl and let cool.
10. Beat remaining cream and 3 tablespoons of sugar until soft peaks form.
11. Add 1 tablespoon (or more to your liking) of stout reduction and beat until combined.
12. Divide cream among 4 to 5 glasses of pudding and chill. Serve cold (Image 4).