Chocolate Coconut Candy Recipe
Yield: 25 pieces
1 cup powdered sugar
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
1 (1.3 ounce) bag freeze-dried raspberries
1 (14-ounce) bag sweetened coconut flakes
6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
6 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1. In a blender or food processor, process the freeze-dried raspberries into a powder. Set aside 3 tablespoons, and store the remainder in an airtight container for another use.
2. In a large bowl, add the sweetened condensed milk, powdered sugar, coconut flakes, vanilla and almond extract and reserved raspberries. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
3. Using a small ice cream scoop or a heaping tablespoon, drop filling onto a lined baking sheet. With wet hands, form each mound into a smooth, tight ball. Cover loosely with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, at least one hour.
4. On the top of a double boiler atop simmering (not boiling water), melt the dark chocolate until smooth. Pour into a shallow bowl. Use a toothpick to dip half of the coconut balls one at a time into the chocolate to coat completely. Let the excess chocolate drip off, and let dry on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Repeat step four with the white chocolate and remaining coconut balls.
6. To garnish, drizzle the opposite chocolate onto tops of each ball.
Note: If freeze-dried raspberries are not available, use 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam, and reduce the amount of sweetened condensed milk to 1/3 cup.
Recipe courtesy of Chrissy Barua