Then-and-Now Pics from the Property Brothers You've Just Got to See
In celebration of a very special birthday for the Scott Brothers, let us take you back to yesteryear — to simpler times before Jonathan and Drew Scott were household names — then we'll flash you forward to the present day with some photos that might just blow your mind.
Die-hard Property Brothers enthusiasts know that April 28, 1978 is a special day. Doubly so, in fact. (Sorry. It was too easy.) That’s the day that identical twins Drew and Jonathan Scott first said hello to the world — and vice versa. Jonathan is the older of the two by just four minutes, and you may not know that Drew’s appearance on that day was a big surprise. That’s right. The Scott parents didn’t know until just that moment that mom was carrying twins. So, while it’s true that Jonathan is the one who launched his showbiz career as a performing magician, it’s Drew who can lay claim to the earliest and most illustrious magical appearance of all. How’s that for a grand entrance?
As long we’re on the subject of magic and surprises, we’ve got something wondrous to share with you — of the visual variety. Allow us to set the stage: A while back, in keeping with that internet phenomenon known as Throwback Thursday, Drew shared via Instagram a childhood photo that, in hindsight, is eerily evocative of a certain TV drama known as Stranger Things. Perhaps you’ve heard of it.
Remind you of anything? (And might the Scott Bros. end up at some point in Hawkins, Indiana, circa mid-1980s, for cameo roles? We’ll just put a pin in that for now.) Meanwhile, Drew’s little #TBT post, as the saying goes, blew up the internet – as reported by our intrepid freelancer Lauren Oster. Anyway, that particular photo got some creative minds thinking — with a “then and now” scenario as the underpinning.
So... What if?… Well, we’ll just let the photos speak for themselves. Submitted for your consideration:
High Adventure in the Great Outdoors
In the Days When BMX Bikes and Schwinn Stingrays Ruled the Earth
Whoa! Déjà vu! Right? We couldn't help ourselves. There are some opportunities that are just too compelling to pass up.
In conclusion, and in honor of the two Mr. Scotts turning the big 4-0 on 4/28, here are a few other factoids to help feed your Scott Bros obsession.
Did You Know...
- On March 3, 2018 Drew was the featured guest programmer on Turner Classic Movies. His classic movie picks for the evening included: High Noon, To Kill a Mockingbird and (further connecting the dots to Stranger Things) two formative Spielberg classics, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Poltergeist.
- Jonathan once appeared in the original The X-Files series, in an episode titled "Little Green Men". (More dots connected.)
- Jonathan and Drew both hold black belts in karate. (Take that, Ross Geller.)
- The Brothers collaborated on an interactive video of Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone", appearing in a faux Property Brothers episode as they casually lip-sync the iconic song. Viewers are able to "change channels" to see Drew and Jonathan, along with other TV, film and sports personalities, all synced to Dylan's vocal. It's strangely provocative. Watch the video here, and be sure to click the "channel select" button until you reach the "Home+" network. (Get it?) It's channel 134. (A Bob Dylan connection? That's quite the name-drop.)
- Linda Phan, Drew’s fiancée, has a birthday just a week prior to the twins. (No excuses for a forgotten birthday, Mr. Drew Scott.) And the couple’s wedding is just a few weeks away. (Ditto on wedding anniversaries!)
- Go here for more Brothers trivia you may not have known.
And don’t forget to tune in for new episodes of Property Brothers, Wednesdays at 9|8c on HGTV, and get ready for the new season of Brother Vs. Brother, premiering May 23.