HGTV Sends Up Its Own in Hilarious New Series 'House Hunters: Comedians on Couches'
Comedians Dan Levy, John Mulaney, Whitney Cummings, J.B. Smoove and more turn their comic gaze and rapier wit to one of HGTV's most popular -- and popularly satirized -- shows, 'House Hunters.'
If you're a House Hunters fan, you know the drill. We all do it. We don't just watch House Hunters — we watch and compose that internal (or out loud) running commentary — on the houses, the agents and the house-hunters themselves. The quirky obsessions, the questionable decorating choices, absurd wish lists and clichéd reactions. "No granite countertops?" "Oh, that's the bigger closet. That one's mine." "That's nice, but I'm looking for something more open-concept." You get the idea.
It's practically universal and actually something of a phenomenon. There are House Hunters drinking games where participants imbibe every time a ubiquitous HH buzz-phrase gets uttered. There's House Hunters bingo. Same basic idea, but the booze is optional. It's a show that practically begs for the Mystery Science 3000 treatment, right?
Done. In a four-night, star-studded special event (premiere dates coming soon) HGTV presents House Hunters: Comedians on Couches. (Get the reference? Thought so.)
HGTV's most fun-to-make-fun-of show gets a bold new twist when seven popular comedians deliver unexpurgated, no-holds-barred color commentary on classic episodes of the phenomenally long-running series. In keeping with the era of social distancing, the commentary and dialog will take the form of a videoconference, with the comics calling out the victories and agonizing defeats deriving from dubious real-estate savvy, unusual paint-color choices, and the nuances of matte finish vs. high-gloss.
The House Hunters: Comedians on Couches celebrity lineup is presided over by actors and comedy writers Dan Levy and Natasha Leggero and features their comedian friends Whitney Cummings, Eliot Glazer, John Mulaney, Chris Redd and J.B. Smoove.
“House Hunters is a pop culture phenomenon that inspires strong reactions from viewers who like to play along with its familiar house selection process,” said Jane Latman, president, HGTV. “While we may not agree with the house each family chooses. or the reasons they select it, we can agree that it’s a good time to lean on talented people who can find the humor in everything and make us laugh out loud — even when it comes to the challenges and triumphs of house hunting.”
Want a quick CV on the comedians involved? Here you go:
- Dan Levy is a comedian, writer and producer, who is currently the creator and executive producer of the NBC comedy Indebted starring Fran Drescher. He also wrote for The Goldbergs, Whitney and the animated Hulu series, The Awesomes. As a comedian, he performed in the Montreal Just for Laughs Comedy Festival, had a one-hour special Dan Levy: Lion and appeared on Comedy Central Presents, The Late Late Show and Late Night.
- Natasha Leggero is an actor, producer, and writer with numerous film roles, including Neighbors, Let’s Be Cops and He’s Just Not That Into You. She stars in CBS’ new comedy, BROKE, and was a series regular in NBC’s Free Agents. Leggero also created, wrote, produced and starred in the Comedy Central sitcom Another Period.
- Whitney Cummings is a comedian, actor, writer, producer and director. Best known for creating and starring in the NBC series Whitney, she also co-created and co-wrote the Emmy®-nominated CBS comedy series 2 Broke Girls. In 2019, she launched her own podcast titled “Good For You” and debuted her fourth stand up special, Can I Touch It?, on Netflix.
- Eliot Glazer is a writer, producer and performer who most currently serves as Executive Producer on Liza on Demand. Additionally, he has written for Broad City, New Girl, and Youngerand is developing original half-hour comedies I Run Hot for AMC Studios and Dentata at Paramount Studios, as well as the Untitled Liza Koshy Project at Nickelodeon. He hosts the bi-monthly live show Haunting Renditions in Los Angeles and New York and in cities and festivals around the country. Best known as 'Eliot’ on Broad City, he appears alongside Seth Rogen in the upcoming Lionsgate/HBO Max movie An American Pickle.
- John Mulaney is a two-time Emmy® and WGA award-winning writer and comedian, most well-known for his standup comedy and writing on Saturday Night Live. In 2018, he toured the U.S. with Kid Gorgeous, which was later released as a Netflix special. He starred in the Netflix originals, The Comeback Kid and John Mulaney & The Sack Lunch Bunch; the Comedy Central special New In Town; and the Broadway hit, Oh, Hello; and was heard in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.
- Chris Redd is an Emmy® Award-winning actor, writer, stand-up comic and rapper who is in his third season as a cast member on Saturday Night Live. He most notably appeared in the film Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping and in the Netflix original comedy series Disjointed. He starred in his own episode of Comedy Central Stand-Up Presents and released a debut stand-up album, “But Here We Are.”
- J.B. Smoove is an actor, writer and stand-up comedian best known for his iconic role as Leon on HBO’s Curb Your Enthusiasm. He has starred in many film and television projects including The Sitter, We Bought a Zoo, Date Night, Hall Pass, Uncle Drew, CBS’s The Millers, and most recently the hit Marvel film Spider-Man: Far From Home, for which he won a National Film & TV Award in 2019 for Best Supporting Actor.
Back to House Hunters. Let us not forget that self-parody is the sincerest form of flattery — or something like that. So if you've got a case of that well-documented vicarious and voyeuristic House Hunters predilection, here's a prime opportunity to join in on some armchair consulting. We're all critics, right? Sit yourself down on your own sofa and let the critique begin. You'll have to bring your own coffee.
Fans are also invited to connect via HGTV’s digital platforms. Full episodes are available on HGTV GO starting the same day and time as the TV premieres. Visit HGTV.com/Comedians for articles, video and details about the celebrities and follow @HGTV and #HouseHunters on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for updates.