Vegan Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
If cinnamon rolls are your favorite dessert, you'll love this sweet dairy-free alternative. Perfectly sweet, these are so easy to make that they will rival any store-bought ones. You can preserve them in the freezer and heat them up any day for a delicious treat.
If cinnamon rolls are your go-to pastry, then this is the recipe for you. Whether served warm or cold, these soft and cinnamon-rich buns are the perfect treat. Top them with your favorite vegan frosting and enjoy some for dessert, brunch or even as a midnight snack.
- 1 cup warm almond milk (100-110°F)
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2-1/4 tsp dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cup pastry flour
- 1/2 cup monk fruit sweetener
- 1/3 cup vegan butter (melted, not hot)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup vegan butter (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup monk fruit sweetener
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp cinnamon (to taste)
- 7 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/3 cup powdered monk fruit sweetener (or powdered sugar of choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- optional: a pinch of cinnamon and/or nutmeg
Cinnamon Rolls Preparation:
- In a large bowl, add the milk, coconut sugar and yeast. Mix them until well combined and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes until foam starts forming.
- Add the monk fruit sweetener, sea salt and vegan butter to the same bowl. Mix well with a balloon whisk, until the ingredients are well combined.
- Add the flour a little at a time, mixing with a silicone spatula or wooden spoon.
- Using your hands, knead the dough in the bowl just enough to hold it together, adding more flour if needed. (The dough should not stick to your hands.)
- Once ready, cover the bowl with a towel and let the dough rest in a dark, warm place for 1 to 2 hours.
- While the dough rests, prepare the mixture of sugars with cinnamon.
- After the resting time, place the dough on a floured surface and knead for about 5 to 10 minutes (adding more flour if necessary) until the dough is smooth.
- Roll the dough out into a 13" x 16" rectangle (1/2-inch thickness), then spread the softened vegan butter on top of the dough.
- On a separate bowl mix together the cinnamon and coconut sugar.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture all over the dough.
- Tightly roll up the dough and slice it into 9-10 pieces.
- Place the cinnamon rolls on a greased cookie sheet.
- Let the dough rest again for 30 minutes to 1 hour (covered and in a warm space). Halfway through that time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Once the oven is heated, place the cinnamon rolls in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes (or until golden).
- The cinnamon rolls can be stored in the freezer. Store them individually inside storage baggies or plastic wrap. When you want to eat one, just let it thaw for a couple of hours and heat it up in the microwave or toaster oven until soft and warm.
- With an electric mixer, beat the vegan butter and vegan cream cheese for 1 to 2 minutes until well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and a pinch of salt to the same bowl. Beat for 30 seconds.
- Lastly, add the powdered sugar and mix for about 2 minutes (or until well combined). The frosting can be used right away or stored in the fridge for about 2-3 hours to give it a thicker texture. It can last up to 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator.