Stout-Braised Short Ribs Recipe
Matthew Hardner, executive chef of Highlands Restaurant Group for Guinness
2 1/2 hours
12 short ribs
2 gallons beef stock
2 cups tomato juice
2 cans Guinness Draught beer
2 carrots, diced
4 sticks celery, diced
2 onions, diced
4 sprigs thyme
12 bone-in short ribs (about 3 1/2 pounds)
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
2. Pan-sear short ribs in medium-to-hot canola oil.
3. When the meat is seared to an amber brown color, transfer to roasting pan.
4. In the same pan, saute carrots, onions and celery, and transfer to roasting pan.
5. Deglaze pan with Guinness Draught beer, and pour liquid over short ribs.
6. Add beef stock, tomato juice and thyme to the roasting pan and cover with aluminum foil.
7. Braise at 350-degrees F for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Tip: The ribs will slightly pull away from the bone when cooked.
8. Remove short ribs from roasting pan and cool.
9. Strain liquid and divide in half.
10. Reduce half the liquid in a saucepan over heat to create a sauce.
11. Simmer remaining liquid with short ribs until tender, approximately 15 minutes.
12. Spoon sauce over short ribs and serve.