Coffee and Cream Bundt Cake
Combining the warm flavor of coffee with a smooth cream cheese glaze, this homemade bundt cake is dense and delicious and serves many. Make it ahead of time for easy entertaining or for a weekend family brunch.
For the Cake:
- 1/4 cup instant coffee (or use instant espresso powder for more intense flavor)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2-2/3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
For the Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Grease and flour a 12 inch bundt pan.
- Place coffee and water in a small bowl and stir to dissolve. Set aside.
- Place flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and whisk together.
- Place butter, sugar and eggs in a mixing bowl and mix on low speed for 30 seconds. Turn up the mixer to high and beat for 3-5 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add 1 tablespoon of coffee, flour mixture, sour cream and milk to mixing bowl and beat until incorporated.
- Remove 1-1/4 cups of batter and add it to the remaining coffee. Stir until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan.
- Drop coffee batter by the spoonful on top of batter in the bundt. Use a knife to push coffee batter into the regular batter and swirl slightly.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until lightly browned and cake passes clean toothpick test in the center. Tip: Check the doneness carefully with a toothpick by checking the middle of the cake closer to the inside part of the pan where it cooks the slowest.
- Allow cooling on a wire rack for 15 minutes before inverting on rack. Cool completely before removing the pan.
For the Glaze:
- Place cream cheese and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat on high until smooth and creamy.
- Add milk and vanilla. Start by adding 1/3 cup of milk, then slowly add the remainder while beating to ensure you get the consistency you want. Beat until smooth.
- Pour over bundt cake. Allow to cool or enjoy still warm.