Brunch Recipe: Baked Eggs With Pesto and Pancetta
8 eggs separated (you need at least 4 unbroken yolks)
1 tablespoon heavy cream
pinch of salt and pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes
4 slices of pancetta
4 slices of baguette (sliced long on a bias)
extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
Yield: Serves 4
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the baguette slices on baking sheet and brush with olive oil then bake until toasted and still chewy inside (about 10 minutes.)
2. Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees. Place round pancetta slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until crisp (check after 8 minutes.)
3. In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites with cream and a pinch of salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
4. When cream and whites are combined, pour into individual ramekins, filling each 3/4 full.
5. Cover each ramekin with foil and put in a baking dish at least 3 inches deep. Fill baking dish halfway with water.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 20 minutes. The whites should be baked until opaque.
7. When cooked to desired doneness, place the yolks on top of the whites in each ramekin and bake for additional 1-2 minutes. Remove from oven if yolks start to shrivel.
8. Place pancetta wheel on rim of each ramekin. Spread 1 tablespoon of pesto on each baguette slice and place beside ramekin. Serve warm.