Brunch Better: Mole Chilaquiles Recipe
Move over, huevos rancheros. Smothered with mole sauce and topped with a fried egg, this classic Mexican dish is a brunch game-changer.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 10 corn tortillas cut into eighths, preferably stale/left out overnight (Image 1)
- *2 cups prepared Mole Negro sauce
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1 fried egg
*Learn how to make mole negro sauce here.
Pour about 1/3 cup vegetable oil into a large saute pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the tortillas, working in two or three batches (Image 2). Cook until lightly browned and nearly crisp. Drain the tortillas on paper towels, and discard the remaining oil. Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel.
In the same pan, add the black mole sauce and bring to simmer over low heat (Image 3). Add the tortillas and cook until soft but not mushy, about three to five minutes. Top with cheese, onions and cilantro (Image 4). Drizzle sour cream, and top with a fried egg. Serve immediately.
Recipe Courtesy of chef Bricia Lopez