Turn Old Canvas Drop Cloths into Modern Art
Tools and Materials:
canvas drop cloth
paintbrushes, paint rollers and roller covers
primer and latex paint
three wooden frames to wrap the canvas around
pneumatic upholstery stapler and upholstery staples
1. Roll the canvas out on a table or flat surface. If the canvas is reused, make sure to first shake out any dust or debris.
2. Use paint rollers to cover the canvas with primer. Cover a large enough surface to for your three canvas frames.
3. When the primer has dried, use latex paint to create a large, abstract mural.
4. When the mural has dried, lay the canvas face-down on your work surface. Line up the frames evenly and leave about six inches between each frame. Use a pencil to trace around the frame leaving 2 to 3 inches all around so that the canvas can be folded over the frame and stapled.
5. Use scissors to cut the canvas around the frames.
6. Wrap the canvas around the frame and secure with a pneumatic upholstery stapler. Staple opposite sides to create a taught canvas, working around the frame in a star pattern (similar to changing a tire).