Ropa Vieja Mini Tacos Recipe
Yields: 8 servings
By: Word of Mouth Catering
2 pounds skirt steak
6 cloves garlic
1 small yellow onion
2 bay leaves
2 cups tomatoes, crushed
2 ancho chiles, seeded
2 guajillo chiles, seeded
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
4 red bell peppers, julienned
2 red onions, julienned
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Season skirt steak with salt and pepper, and place in baking dish.
3. Cover dish halfway with water, and add tomatoes and chiles.
4. Wrap peppercorns, yellow onion, garlic and bay leaves in a square of cheesecloth, tie with baker's twine and add to pan.
5. Cover with foil and simmer in oven until meat begins to fall apart (about 3 hours).
6. Remove meat and shred with a fork.
7. Strain liquid through cheesecloth, and add back to pan.
8. Cook on stove over high heat until thickened to light sauce.
9. Heat olive oil in large pan over medium-high heat.
10. Saute bell peppers and onions, then add to shredded meat. Add just enough sauce to coat, and toss.
11. To serve, fill mini tortilla rounds with ropa vieja mixture.