Seattle Home Goes French With a Parisian-Inspired Kitchen Remodel
When Sally Fouts decided to tackle a kitchen remodel in her 100-year-old Seattle home, she didn't let distance get in the way of working with Portland interior designer and friend, Casey Keasler of K.I.D. Collective.
"Casey and I have known each other a long time, and I love her style, so it was really, really easy," says Sally. During the initial conception process of the new kitchen’s design, Casey traveled up to Seattle. "We used Skype to review a few plans that Casey drew up, and we also used Pinterest throughout for inspiration," adds Sally. In fact, the Pinterest board that the pair created to exchange ideas and inspiration now boasts more than a million followers.
Shop This Look
The Scope of the Kitchen Remodel
- Installed an under mount sink and faucet
- Added butcher block countertops
- Painted the cabinets white and replaced the hardware
- Removed the island and replaced it with a marble breakfast table
- Rebuilt the pantry
- Replaced and moved the stove from the former island to the wall
- Added white subway tile as the backsplash
- Installed open metal shelves
- Replaced light fixtures with accent lighting
- Ripped up the carpet in the family room and installed reclaimed fir flooring
The original kitchen had been remodeled during the ‘90s in a galley style that made the space feel extra long and narrow. The previous owners had installed a tall island in the kitchen that divided up the space awkwardly. There was also an addition added to the back of the kitchen, which became the family room.
Sally’s goal for her remodel was to create a bright, clean kitchen with an open feel. “I knew I wanted a space that fit the era of the home, but with a modern and functional twist,” says Sally. “And we needed to lose all references to the ‘90s!” She started planning the kitchen remodel shortly after spending five months living in Paris. Sally knew she wanted to bring a touch of that French style to her Seattle kitchen. With a budget of $30,000, Sally’s kitchen was remodeled top to bottom in eight weeks in a smooth process that had no (unwanted) surprises. She now shares the space with her boyfriend Josh and her pup Pirate.