How to Replace an Outdoor Water Spigot
It only takes a few steps to install a new outdoor faucet.
- adjustable wrench
- pipe wrench
- adjustable pliers
- plumbers' tape
- stiff-bristled brush
- new spigot
- First locate the main water shutoff valve and turn off the water. Size the adjustable wrench to fit snugly against the water shutoff valve, and turn it 90 degrees by inserting a screwdriver through the hole in the handle of the wrench.
- Open the spigot and allow the water to drain.
- Now remove the defective spigot. Grasp the pipe below the spigot tightly with adjustable pliers. Tighten the pipe wrench around the body of the spigot and twist it off.
- Clean the pipe threads with a brush.
- Wrap the pipe threads with plumber's tape, starting at the base and working up.
- Install the new spigot and tighten by hand. Once you cannot tighten by hand anymore, wrap the new spigot with a towel to protect it and tighten fully using adjustable pliers.
Add a wood-fire pizza oven to your outdoor kitchen. Learn how to create the base and install it with our step-by-step DIY guide.
Add fireside ambiance to your backyard with an outdoor fireplace made with stacked stone.
Add a weather-friendly chalkboard to your outdoor space for inspired drawing or score-keeping on family game night.
Think of faucets as bathroom bling and choose one that suits your style, needs and budget
Everything is coming up roses when you know how to capture this intoxicating aroma.
For a low-maintenance container garden, make a mini pond in a pot.
Learn about options and ideas for outdoor rooms and outdoor living spaces.
With carefully placed outdoor lights, you can enjoy the ambiance of your garden into the evening.
Stone, concrete or tile? Get tips on how to find the right surface for your outdoor kitchen.