How to Replace an Outdoor Water Spigot
It only takes a few steps to install a new outdoor faucet.
- adjustable wrench
- pipe wrench
- adjustable pliers
- plumbers' tape
- stiff-bristled brush
- new spigot
- First locate the main water shutoff valve and turn off the water. Size the adjustable wrench to fit snugly against the water shutoff valve, and turn it 90 degrees by inserting a screwdriver through the hole in the handle of the wrench.
- Open the spigot and allow the water to drain.
- Now remove the defective spigot. Grasp the pipe below the spigot tightly with adjustable pliers. Tighten the pipe wrench around the body of the spigot and twist it off.
- Clean the pipe threads with a brush.
- Wrap the pipe threads with plumber's tape, starting at the base and working up.
- Install the new spigot and tighten by hand. Once you cannot tighten by hand anymore, wrap the new spigot with a towel to protect it and tighten fully using adjustable pliers.
Dig up the broken section and swap it out with these step-by-step instructions.
Host Steve Watson shows how to install a bathroom faucet.
Should you hire a pro or tackle that home repair yourself? Elbow Room’s Chip Wade weighs in on five common questions for HGTV Magazine.
Step-by-step instructions for laying in a new coat without disturbing the tile.
Keep your outdoor furniture in top shape with these tips. Already dealing with worn wood, crusty cushions or rust-marred metal? No worries — we’ve got pointers for repairing not-so-pristine pieces, too.
If leaks are showing up on your ceiling, it's time to fill the insulation gaps.
Step-by-step instructions for repairing damaged sections
A budget-friendly way to customize your bathroom is by replacing a builder-grade or dated faucet with a shiny, new model that's better suited to your taste. This plumbing project may seem intimidating, but it's actually an easy DIY project that can be done, in most cases, in less than an hour.
Keep your sink flowing with these handy tips on cleaning and maintenance.
Make a chandelier to add a soothing ambiance to your outdoor space.