Strawberry Strata Recipe
Before You Start
I used a baguette here, but you could use different bread. The key is to use one that is crusty and not too soft and fluffy on the inside.
This would be wonderful served with a bit of ice cream or dusted with powdered sugar.
3 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons agave nectar
3/4 cup ricotta
4 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups whole milk
zest of one orange
juice of one orange (about 1/3 cup)
1 baguette, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
16 ounces strawberries, sliced (fresh or frozen)
1. Melt butter in a small pan over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in agave nectar.
2. In a large bowl combine eggs, ricotta and sugar. Whisk by hand just until combined.
3. Add the milk, zest, juice and butter/nectar mixture (Image 1). Whisk until incorporated.
4. Lightly butter a baking dish.
5. Dip the bread cubes in the batter and then make a single layer of them on the bottom of the baking dish.
6. Add a layer of strawberries.
7. Repeat with another layer of bread cube and berries.
8. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 3 hours and up to 12 hours.
9. Preheat oven to 350° F.
10. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown on top and cooked through (Image 2).
11. Allow to cool slightly before serving (about 5 minutes) (Image 3).