Uses for Burlap
From controlling erosion to storing your vegetables, burlap can be quite versatile in the garden.
One of the most underused gardening items is burlap. Here is a list of uses for this cloth:
- Use burlap to help control erosion on steep slopes.
- Cover plants with it to provide a few degrees of frost protection.
- Burlap is the perfect material for wrapping evergreens prone to damage from the weight of heavy snow.
- Use it to move heavy objects.
- When filled with compost and tied at the top, a small square of burlap serves as an excellent soaker bag for brewing compost tea.
- Small pieces of burlap can be used to cover the drainage holes of pots before adding soil mix.
- Because they're porous, burlap bags are great for storing onions and potatoes.
New HGTV Gardening Show 'Clipped' Coming to Discovery+
Are you the type of HGTV viewer who longs for more "G" in "HGTV"? Heads-up gardening fans, green-thumbs and landscaping aficionados.We've got some great news for you!
4 Ways to Convert Lawn to a Flower Bed
There are multiple methods for removing grass to create garden beds. Some are labor intensive while others just take time and patience. Here are four chemical-free ways to turn your lawn into your garden.
Plant Hardiness Zones Explained
The USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map is the standard by which gardeners can determine which plants are most likely to thrive in their area. Find out what zone you're in and how to use that information to grow your best garden ever.
How to Design a Great Yard With Landscape Plants
Take the guesswork out of choosing landscaping plants by following "right plant, right place" garden design.
Should Gardeners Be Concerned About Cicadas?
No, not really. After 17 years, Brood X cicadas are set to emerge in 2021. Learn about these amazing critters and a few precautions you should take if they grace your yard.
What You Should Be Pruning in Early Summer
Grab your pruners — early summer is the time to snip and clip all kinds of plants.
How to Get Blood Stains Out of Sheets, Carpeting and Other Fabrics
Lifting blood stains from common fabrics and thread counts is easier than you’d think. When in doubt, give stains a good kick with these tricks.
How to Winterize Irrigation Systems, Hoses and Sprinklers
Learn how to button-up your watering gear to prevent cold-weather damage.
Garden Edging Ideas to Prevent Weeds and Grass in Flower Beds
There are a variety of ways to create a border between your lawn and your flower beds. Explore the options and decide what’s best for your yard.
How to Grow Pachysandra
Meet one of the best groundcovers for shade that delivers evergreen color year round.