Get Your House Ready for its Close-Up
Make a good impression on potential buyers with these tips for staging your house and preparing for a sell.
By: Tammy Stoner
First impressions can often decide whether someone wants to see more of your act, or gong you before the show even starts. To ensure a Chuck Barris "Wow!" instead of a gong of rejection, run through this checklist before your open house:
- Plant new flowers, especially up the walkway to your home.
- Clear off your front porch.
- Burn potpourri (or bake cookies in the morning, then leave them out for your visitors).
- Clean! Clean! Clean! (Yes, even the baseboards.).
- Place fresh flowers on the dining room table.
- Remove all clutter from the house.
- Leave every light on and every door open.
- Hide the picture of Uncle Dave in his Speedo.
- If you have a Realtor, leave the house while buyers are looking at it.
- If you are representing yourself, sell the house and the neighborhood, not your astounding card tricks (even the one you filmed for YouTube).
Sellers: What to Do When You Can't Find a Home Before Yours Sells
If you sold your house before you've found new digs, don't worry: You have options.
How to Quickly Sell Your Home When Threatened With Foreclosure
Get tips and advice on how to sell your home fast.
How to Deal With Your Lender When Facing Foreclosure
In the foreclosure world, "workout" has nothing to do with the elliptical trainer. It's about cutting a deal with your lender to stop the foreclosure process.
Pros + Cons of Rent-to-Own Agreements for Buyers and Sellers
For both the seller and homebuyer, renting to own a house can be a dream come true — or a nightmare. Find out if this type of real estate transaction is right for you.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Buying a Home in Foreclosure
Purchasing a foreclosed home can mean getting a bargain, but there are potential pitfalls too.
5 Types of Neighbors and How to Handle Them
You may love your house, but getting stuck with bad neighbors may have you thinking about putting up a for-sale sign. Here are some tips on dealing with rude, sloppy or nosy neighbors, and even those mean ones with spite houses.
How to Make the Most of Your Open House
Set your house apart with these simple tips.
The Buyer's Field Guide to the Open House
Arm yourself with these expert tips and advice when braving the Sunday open house. Learn more on HGTV.com.
Take Your Open House to the Next Level
Up the ante on the traditional way of showcasing your home.
Attract Buyers With an Inviting Atmosphere
Warm up your home's appeal during cold-weather months.