15 Easy Ways to Prep Your House for a Sale
Use this handy checklist to help find a buyer when your house is going on the market.
Sabrina Soto, home-staging expert and host of HGTV's Get It Sold, shares her tips on what to do before putting a house on the market. Print out this handy checklist.
- Use "home wash" (a hose attachment that is available at any home improvement store) to clean the outside of the house.
- Clean rain gutters as well as outside windows and screens.
- Make sure the front door is inviting. Paint it if needed. Also, replace any outdated exterior lighting fixtures.
- Buy new house numbers if the old ones are dated or faded. Be sure buyers can see the new ones from the curb.
- Buy a new welcome mat.
- Eliminate half of your belongings - clutter can cost you a sale. Rent a storage unit or portable pod for extraneous pieces of furniture or knickknacks. Another idea is to ask a friend if you can borrow some space in his or her garage.
- Organize all closets and drawers. Buyers might look there.
- Make any necessary repairs so that buyers don't have to add that to their mental list of post-purchase expenses.
- Rearrange furniture to make rooms appear as large as possible.
- Make every surface shine, from ceiling fans to baseboards. Don't forget interior windows, mirrors and floors.
- Scrub every inch of the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Depersonalize each room, removing photo frames and posters or artwork.
- Buy new linens and pillows if necessary. Be certain they are a neutral color.
- Buy air neutralizer and spray it often.
- Let go emotionally of your home, and get ready for an offer!
Make your home stand out with a few easy improvements.
Don't let the slow market get you down. Whether you're a home seller looking for offers or a homebuyer facing stricter loan requirements, rev up your real estate potential with these helpful tips.
Think your real estate tax is unfair? Do something about it.
Factor these expenses in before you take on a mortgage.
Figure out if you should sign on or steer clear of these financing trends.
Use these tips to find an existing eco-friendly home for sale or to build a green home from scratch.
In today’s market, frustrated home sellers are resorting to some unusual methods to get their homes noticed. HGTV gives you some ideas to help sell your home.
Develop a good relationship with your landlord and neighbors with these six tips from The Rental Girl, a boutique rental agency based in Los Angeles.
Brokers can be the used car salesman of the mortgage world because they get a cut of the amount you borrow.
Here are four things you'll need (and two things you won't) when you're ready to switch from renting to owning.