Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits With Ham Recipe
6 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, chilled
2-1/4 cups buttermilk, plus more for brushing
thinly-sliced country or honey ham
Yield: 18 biscuits
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer.
2. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes. Chill in the freezer for 5 minutes before using to ensure that it's very cold.
3. Add chilled butter to the bowl with the dry ingredients. With the paddle attachment on the lowest setting, mix the butter in just until it's in pea-sized bits or smaller. Do not overmix.
4. Use your hand to make a well inside the dough, and pour in the buttermilk. Use a wooden spoon to gently mix the buttermilk into the dough until just combined, being careful not to overwork the dough.
5. Turn out onto a lightly floured cutting board, and gently flatten the dough into a 1/2" thick disc. Use a 2-1/2" round biscuit cutter to cut the dough into biscuit shapes.
6. Brush the tops of the biscuits with a little buttermilk. Bake 15-18 minutes, rotating pan halfway through.
7. Serve with sliced ham and Dijon mustard.