Eggplant Chips With Cilantro Pesto Recipe
2 c. fresh cilantro, packed
1/3 c. cashews, unroasted and unsalted
2 cloves garlic, skin removed
1/2 c. plus 3 tbs. olive oil
1/2 c. Asiago cheese, grated
4 Japanese eggplants, thinly sliced into rounds
2 tbs. salt
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic salt
Extra salt and pepper to taste
1. Pulse the cilantro, cashews and 2 cloves of garlic in a food processor until finely chopped.
2. Stream in 1/2 cup olive oil while the food processor is on, making sure to scrape down the sides once fully incorporated. Add the Asiago cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper and combine. Taste, adjusting salt and pepper as needed, and set aside.
3. Slice the eggplants into 1/3-inch rounds and lay out on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the salt over the eggplant and let sit for about an hour.
4. Using a paper towel, blot off the salt and water and place eggplant rounds back onto parchment paper.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
6. Combine the remaining olive oil, paprika and garlic salt in a small bowl. Using a small brush, brush the olive oil mixture onto both sides of the eggplant.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Make sure to keep an eye on the eggplant, as you don't want to let it burn.
8. Remove from oven, sprinkle with finishing salt and serve immediately with the cashew cilantro pesto dipping sauce.