How to Turn an Electrical Outlet
If it's been installed upside down, right it with these instructions.
Sometimes a flip of the switch won't do it. Here's how to flip the outlet:
Materials and Tools:
miniature slotted screwdriver
- Turn off power to the outlet at the breaker box. Use a voltage tester to make sure the power is off.
- Remove the faceplate and the screws holding the outlet in the junction box with the slotted screwdriver. Gently turn the outlet until it's oriented properly.
- Check all wires to make sure no copper wiring is exposed. If you can see a gap between the ends of the insulation and the outlet, remove the wire with the miniature screwdriver and trim the exposed wiring with the wire cutters.
- Insert the wire back into the outlet and tighten it so the insulation fits flush against the back of the outlet.
- Replace the outlet and secure with screws. Replace the faceplate and turn the power back on.
How to Identify Basic Electrical Wiring
Whether you’re changing an outlet, light fixture or switch, the first thing you need to know is what all those different colored wires are for.
How to Test Electrical Receptacles for Grounding
Grounded electrical outlets are important for safety in the home. Learn how you can check your wiring for issues and gain peace of mind.
How to Wire a Light Switch
Electricity is a mystery to many people, but some electrical projects — like wiring a switch — are so simple that anyone can do them. With a few easy steps and the right knowledge, there’s no need to hire an electrician.
How to Install a Dimmer Switch
Learn how to replace a standard light switch with a dimmer switch.
Adding a Light Fixture to a Ceiling Fan
Enhancing a room's ambiance is as easy as following these step-by-step instructions.
How to Clean a Computer Screen
Get the low-down on how to safely remove dust, fingerprints, smudges and streaks from any type of laptop screen or computer monitor.
How to Replace a Standard Outlet With a GFCI Outlet
Ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets block electrical power to prevent potentially dangerous shocks — they should be installed in any area that water is present such as bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms. Changing a standard outlet to a GFCI is a fairly easy and inexpensive project that will help protect you and your family.
How to Replace a Faucet
Replacing a faucet that's outdated or always dripping is a relatively easy DIY project.
How to Caulk a Shower
Follow these simple steps to remove and replace caulk in the shower and bathtub when it starts to mildew and pull away from the shower wall.
Landscape Lighting Trends and How to Choose What's Right for Your Yard
Learn about the latest trends in landscape lighting and how to illuminate your yard with inventive outdoor lighting solutions.