How to Turn an Electrical Outlet
Sometimes a flip of the switch won't do it. Here's how to flip the outlet:
Materials and Tools:
miniature slotted screwdriver
- Turn off power to the outlet at the breaker box. Use a voltage tester to make sure the power is off.
- Remove the faceplate and the screws holding the outlet in the junction box with the slotted screwdriver. Gently turn the outlet until it's oriented properly.
- Check all wires to make sure no copper wiring is exposed. If you can see a gap between the ends of the insulation and the outlet, remove the wire with the miniature screwdriver and trim the exposed wiring with the wire cutters.
- Insert the wire back into the outlet and tighten it so the insulation fits flush against the back of the outlet.
- Replace the outlet and secure with screws. Replace the faceplate and turn the power back on.