10 Tips for Shopping Yard Sales Like a Pro
What you should know before you set out on a weekend shopping spree.
It’s exhausting out there, so before you head out for a day on the yard-sale circuit, be sure to go over this handy list of tips. You’ll thank us.
- Wear comfortable shoes. You’ll be on your feet all day, including time spent on grass and dirt.
- Map your route to make the best use of your time. Stopping at sites with multiple vendors gives you more shopping time and requires less driving time.
- Wear sunscreen or a hat or both, and try to keep your face in the shade.
- Bring water and snacks.
- Have a tape measure handy to make sure large purchases such as furniture will fit inside your house.
- Hit the ATM for cash before you head out; most vendors don’t take credit cards.
- Take along a rolling tote to hold your purchases. This minimizes the amount of weight you have to carry and keeps your hands free to keep shopping.
- Pack hand sanitizer. If you’re shopping at a large venue, the only restrooms might be portable ones, which don’t include sinks for proper hand-washing.
- Think ahead on shipping. If you buy something big, will you send it from an overnight shipping service or bus service, or will you need to rent a truck or trailer?
- If you see something you like, buy it, because when you come back later it will probably be gone.
The road to selling a home can be a long one. Learn to improve the value of your home based on your budget with these 30 tips.
Throw the best yard sale in the neighborhood with these clever tips.
From tile to the plumbing fixtures, get tips for where to invest money and where to cut back.
Keep all your projects moving and say goodbye to stripped screws once and for all with these helpful tips and tricks.
These clever tips will help you cut the cost of creating a beautiful flower arrangement.
Learn how to fix bald spots in your lawn by repairing with seed or patching with sod.
This family knows how to DIY decorate! Everywhere you turn, there's something awesome to try—so HGTV Magazine is taking you on a tour.
Easily brighten and add rustic charm to furniture and a variety of wood surfaces with these budget-friendly whitewashing and pickling techniques.
Learn how to choose the right tools for your inside or outside painting job.
Our 10-step budget guide will help you set up and stick to a decorating budget -- without blowing it.