Roasted Pumpkin Seed Recipes
Don't scoop and then dump your pumpkin innards. Salvage the seeds for easy, delicious recipes.
Certainly no one is growing or buying pumpkins for the seeds, but when pumpkin puree is on the menu or Jack-o’-lanterns are carved, the flat, white seeds lurking in the glop within are a crunchy, nutrition-packed bonus, ready to be roasted to golden perfection.
Pumpkin seeds are fun to roast and even more fun to eat, but the health benefits of roasted pumpkin seeds may come as a surprise. Loaded with manganese, zinc, potassium, calcium and other vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and fiber, pumpkin seeds can aid in the prevention of kidney stones, osteoporosis, some types of cancer and can even combat depression.
Mostly, though, pumpkin seeds taste great. Tossed in butter, spiced and oven-roasted, roasted seeds are the perfect post-pumpkin-carving snack. A little salt is enough to get the ball rolling, but why stop there?
Whether you prefer savory or sweet, spicy or subtle, roasted pumpkin seeds can be spiced to suit any palate. Toss the seeds in butter and add your favorite spices to put a new spin on the nutty, crunchy goodness of an old favorite. Try this recipe for roasting your own with a few spice blends to get you started, from cheesy parmesan to sweet pumpkin pie.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Spice Mixes (select one)
- Classic Salted: 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Spicy: 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Parmesan: 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Curry: 3 teaspoons curry powder, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pumpkin Pie: 6 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon nutmeg, ⅛ teaspoon cloves
- Crawfish Boil: 3 teaspoons seafood seasoning, 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Wash, rinse and dry pumpkin seeds.
In a bowl, toss pumpkin seeds with 2 tablespoons butter to coat.
Add spice mix and toss to coat.
Spread pumpkin seeds flat on a baking sheet
Roast in 375 degree oven for 10 minutes.
Stir and roast 10 more minutes or until golden brown.
Cool and serve.