Healthy Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Try our healthy version of pumpkin pie, perfect for Thanksgiving or satisfying a craving.
- 1 can coconut whipping cream, chilled at least 24 hours
- 2 tablespoons raw cane sugar, finely ground
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups cashews, unsalted and un-roasted
- (1) 15-ounce can organic pumpkin
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
Yield: 8 servings
1. To a chilled mixing bowl, add the coconut whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla, and whip with a hand-mixer for about 1-3 minutes, or until soft peaks form. Transfer to the fridge while preparing the other components.
2. To make the crust, pulse the pecans in a food processor until fine crumbles form (Image 1). Add the almond flour, and pulse again for only a couple seconds until combined (Image 2). Add the maple syrup, coconut oil, and salt to the mixture, and pulse until it all starts to stick together while remaining crumbly (Image 3).
3. Transfer the crust to an 8-inch tart tin, and flatten it out with the bottom of a flat glass. Transfer to the freezer while preparing the filling (Image 4).
4. In a high-speed blender, blend the cashews and almond milk until smooth and creamy, giving your blender a rest if/when needed (Image 1). Add the rest of the filling ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy (Image 2). Pour the filling over the crust and freeze for three hours or until firm (Image 3). Store in the fridge. Serve with coconut whipped cream.