How to Remove Pet Stains From Carpet
Urine or vomit on carpet can be a pet owner's worst nightmare. Here's how you can clean some of the most common pet messes without too much stress.
You love your pets. You love your carpets. Unfortunately the two don’t always coexist well. Knowing how to get pet stains out of carpet is a key skill for dog and cat owners. Here's how to clean a few of the most common messes caused by your animals.
How to Clean Dog Urine From Carpet
Accidents happen no matter how well trained your furry pal is. You need to know how to clean dog urine from carpet.
- If at all possible, clean up urine as soon as it hits the floor and while the carpet is still wet. Once urine dries, the odor will set into the carpet fibers.
- Place a towel or a couple of layers of paper towels on the spot to absorb the urine. Stand on the towel so it pushes into the carpet and absorbs as much urine as possible.
- Next, mix up a solution of 2 cups of vinegar, 2 cups of warm water and 4 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Put solution into a spray bottle and spritz on soiled area.
- Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Blot with a soft cloth.
For Heavier Stains
- Sprinkle baking soda directly on the stain.
- Pour a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water on the area and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Blot up with a cloth.
The Best Vacuums for Pet Hair, Tested by HGTV Editors
We love our pets. But cleaning up pet hair? Not so much. Browse our top list of vacuum cleaners, from handhelds to uprights, that will de-shed your home with ease.
How to Clean Vomit From Carpet
The acid in vomit can stain a surface fast, so wipe it up as soon as you can.
- Use a dustpan or scraper to remove the larger chunks.
- Blot with a towel to clean up the moisture.
- Mix a solution of 2 cups of warm water, 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap and 1/2 cup of vinegar.
- Dip a soft cloth or sponge into the mixture and apply to the soiled area. Blot lightly.
- Repeat the above a couple more times to remove a tough stain.
- When the stain is gone, remove cleaner by putting a cloth dipped in clean water on the area. Blot dry with a towel.
How to Get Stains Out of Carpet
Learn how to remove stains from wine, nail polish, coffee and more.
- Mix a solution of 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide and 1 teaspoon of liquid dish detergent in a bowl.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the soiled area.
- Pour the liquid solution on the baking soda and the stain.
- Gently rub the area with a soft-bristled brush or cloth.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes (longer if the vomit has dried.)
- Use a towel to remove as much liquid as possible, then vacuum the area.
For a tough stain, you may have to repeat these steps.