Maximum Home Value Kitchen Projects: Storage, Organization and Shelving
One of the biggest trends in kitchen design is organization.
If you didn’t custom-build cabinets with specialty storage, you can retrofit existing cabinets with storage accessorizes such as pullout shelves and baskets, drawer organizers and built-in racks for spices and wine. Whether it’s to organize pots and pans or store spices, every space should serve a purpose, but not be overstuffed.
- Categorized based on use. Pullout drawer organizers keep similar items together so you can find what you need quickly. Dinnerware goes in one drawer, pots and pans in another, utensils in another, etc. A dinnerware organizer, for instance, is a convenient alternative to stacking your dishes on a cabinet shelf.
- Maximum accessibility. No one wants to go rummaging through a cabinet for a pot, baking sheet or serving dish, just to have everything fall out. Features like a lazy Susan or rollout storage racks keep items easily accessible.
- Clutter-free counters. An appliance garage keeps small appliances like your mixer, coffeemaker, toaster and blender out of sight when not in use, but within reach when you need them.
- Island space. In addition to providing more counter space, an island is an ideal place to add extra storage, through drawers, shelves and racks.
Like countertops, cabinets and other elements of a kitchen remodel, kitchen organization can be overdone. Remember to keep your home’s price point in mind when shopping for organizers and storage accessories. You don’t want to spend much more than you can recoup. “Don’t get hung up on something in the store,” says appraisal expert Leslie Sellers. “Think big picture.”
- On a Budget: Simple inserts are affordable and increase your kitchen’s usability instantly. Wall and under-cabinet racks are also an easy way to organize items like mugs, glassware, pot lids, spices and wine.
- Mid-Range: Convert traditional cabinet shelves and drawers into more usable space using organizers. Chrome organizers are more stylish and durable than plastic or wire ones, but also more expensive. Add style with rollout wicker baskets. A kitchen cart offers even more storage as well as an additional workspace.
- High-End: Custom retro-fit your cabinets with specialty storage so they blend seamlessly with your kitchen design. An island and hanging pot rack add class as well as increase storage.