Black Mold: What You Should Know
Sinister-sounding and potentially dangerous, toxic black mold can strike fear in the heart of any homeowner. But by being able to identify black mold and understand how to prevent and control its growth, you can help to keep your home free of toxic black mold.
Black mold is most likely to appear in areas of the home that are particularly warm, humid and damp. Basements or crawlspaces that may have leaks or other sources of moisture are often susceptible to toxic black mold growth. Black mold is readily identifiable by its color. Whereas most other molds are green or gray in color, toxic black mold is a dark black.
Black mold can cause an array of allergic reactions and health problems. In most cases, depending on the length of exposure and the number of spores inhaled, symptoms can include chronic fatigue or headaches, fever, irritation to the eyes, mucous membranes of the mouth, nose and throat, sneezing, rashes, and chronic coughing. In cases of prolonged or severe exposure, or cases exacerbated by an allergic reaction, more extreme symptoms can present, including nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose
To guard against the health risks associated with black mold, preventing and controlling mold growth in the home is the best defense. Treating areas of existing mold growth should always be done while wearing a respirator or mask rated for work with mold spores, and arms, legs and hands should be covered to prevent an allergic reaction.
Toxic black mold can cause health problems and damage to homes, but understanding how to prevent, identify and eradicate black mold will give you the tools to keep your home free of this toxic species of mold.
See also: How to Keep Your Home Healthy
- Testing for Black Mold
- Control Mold Through Water Management
- Common Types of Mold in Homes
- Common Areas for Mold Growth
- Black Mold Symptoms and Health Effects
- Toxic Mold Sickness and Poisoning