Spring Gardening Planner
Do these tasks during spring and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
- Cut back ornamental grasses, prairie-style borders and autumn-flowering perennials.
- Prepare beds and borders for planting; weed and dig over the soil; add organic matter where appropriate.
- Prune late-flowering shrubs, early summer-flowering clematis and roses.
- Cut lavender hedges back.
- Apply a granular fertilizer around shrubs, trees and perennials.
- Sow half-hardy annuals indoors.
- Pot up plug plants indoors.
- Lift and divide established clumps of perennials.
- Plant hardy grasses.
- Regularly deadhead spring-flowering bulbs and bedding plants.
- Repot Christmas trees.
- Plant perennials, summer-flowering bulbs and pond plants.
- Inside, plant Thai herbs.
- Plant indoor hanging basket.
- Sow hardy annuals directly outdoors; sow tender annuals indoors.
- Sow vegetables and plant potatoes.
- Sow a wildflower meadow.
- Mulch the soil.
- Start weeding.
- Prune early-flowering shrubs and early clematis after flowering.
- Stake herbaceous perennials.
- Start mowing the lawn.
Any Time of Year
- Make a compost bin; fill, turn and empty when necessary.
- Make a wooden obelisk.
- Create a bog garden.
- Dig out a pond.
- Make a border and lawn edge.
- Make a rose arch.
- Check tree ties and loosen if necessary.
- Look out for pests and diseases, and take appropriate action.
- Cut out dead or diseased wood.
- Clean all cutting tools after use to prevent spreading plant diseases.
How to Grow Patio Roses in Containers
Plant in containers so you can stop and smell the roses on your patio, deck or balcony.
Autumn Gardening Planner
Time to spruce up your garden and take care of these fall gardening chores to help make next growing season a bit easier.
Winter Gardening Planner
Consult this handy checklist for wintertime care and maintenance of your garden.
Summer Gardening Planner
Follow this handy checklist and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
How to Protect Plants From Frost
Protect shrubs, flower and vegetable beds from frosts and freezes with these pro tips and garden hacks.
What You Should Know About Last Frost Dates
Take the guesswork out of spring planting by learning about frost dates.
How to Replant an Overwintered Pot in Spring or Summer
So, you left your pot filled with tender perennials or annuals outside all winter? Whoops! Don't worry, it happens. We'll show you how to determine which plants are ready for another growing season and how to replace the dearly departed with new plants.
Late Winter and Early Spring Pruning Guide
Get ready for late winter and early spring pruning chores.
28 Fun Spring Gift Ideas From Uncommon Goods
Graduations, weddings, Mother's Day and more are on the horizon! Find the perfect gift for everyone and every occasion.
How to Grow and Care for Weigela
Brighten up the spring landscape with the beautiful pink blossoms of weigela bush, an easy, old-fashioned favorite that attracts bees, butterflies and hummingbirds. Modern varieties offer extra appeal.