Winter Gardening Planner
Consult this handy checklist for wintertime care and maintenance of your garden.
- Plan your vegetable and flower beds.
- Order flower and vegetable seeds.
- Group containers for stability in high winds and for insulation.
- Wrap terra-cotta pots in bubble plastic or pack in mulch for frost protection.
- Harvest winter crops.
- Build a raised bed.
- Put up new bird boxes.
- Prune wisteria, and most trees, including apples and pears, in late winter.
- Plant bare-root trees and shrubs in late winter.
- Take root cuttings from perennials.
- Prune late-flowering clematis.
- Prune trees to create multistemmed specimens.
- Chit potatoes in late winter to plant in spring.
Any Time of Year
- Make a compost bin; fill, turn and empty when necessary.
- Make a wooden obelisk.
- Create a bog garden.
- Dig out a pond.
- Make a border and lawn edge.
- Make a rose arch.
- Check tree ties, and loosen if necessary.
- Look out for pests and diseases, and take appropriate action.
- Cut out dead or diseased wood.
- Clean all cutting tools after use to prevent spreading plant diseases.
Do these tasks during spring and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
Time to spruce up your garden and take care of these fall gardening chores to help make next growing season a bit easier.
Follow this handy checklist and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
Tips for producing vigorous tomato seedlings for transplanting outdoors.
Master gardener Chris Dawson shares these tips for growing fruit trees in pots.
Plant in containers so you can stop and smell the roses on your patio, deck or balcony.
Brush up on a few winter gardening ideas to give your green thumb a workout all year long.
Discover easy, stylish ways to keep gardening in winter, indoors and out.
Transform the cold weather months into a time of color and flavor in your yard by growing winter vegetables and fruits.
Discover tools and techniques you can use to protect your plants from frost and extend the growing season.