Cigar Box Pug Purse
Shannon Sybirski shares her process for decorating her one-of-a-kind cigar box pug purse.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
sketchpad and pencil
acrylic paints, paintbrushes, water
computer, scanner, photo sizing software, printer
high quality paper
copier or copy center
wooden box with rounded sides
cabinet door handle (for purse handle)
four 1/2" diameter wooden doll heads for base
bead trims, small gems, feather boa
spray paint, black, gold
glue gun and hot glue sticks
seed beads, square alphabet beads, round beads
1. Draw a pencil sketch of the pug on paper.
2. Scan the image and take it to a copy center to have blown up to the size to fit the canvas.
3. Transfer the pug drawing onto pre-stretched canvas using carbon paper.
4. Paint the pug drawing on the canvas with acrylic paint. Let dry.
5. Unscrew the hardware on the purse.
6. Spray paint the top of the purse inside and out with two coats of gold spray paint. Let dry. Spray paint the bottom of the purse inside and out with two coats of black spray paint. Let dry.
7. Spray the entire purse with clear coat inside and out. Let dry.
9. Take a digital photo of the canvas painting of the pug.
10. Transfer the photo to the computer, size the image to fit the front of the purse and print out the image of the pug onto paper. Touch up the print with acrylic paint pens to bring out highlights in the dog's face.
11. Apply gel medium onto the pug image. Let dry.
12. Cut out the image using scissors.
13. Apply bead trim around the edges of the image, gluing it to the back with epoxy glue. Let dry.
14. Glue small gems to the 1/2-inch diameter wooden doll heads to decorate them. Spray with clear coat and let dry.
15. Line up the cabinet handle and mark the location on the top of the purse for drilling the holes. Drill the holes in the top of the box, but wait to add the handle.
16. Line up and affix the image to the purse with gel medium. Let dry.
17. Add another line of beading around the front of the image with epoxy.
18. Affix the decorated wooden balls to the four corners of the base of the purse with epoxy glue. Let dry.
19. Create a decorative dog tag with alphabet beads, seed beads and round beads strung on wire to be hung around the handle.
20. Attach the handle with the tag intertwined.
21. Glue the mirror to the inside of the purse with epoxy or use the glue gun.
22. Glue the feather boa around the top edge of the purse with the glue gun. Cut the boa at the side openings of the purse with a razor blade.
23. Write a "dog saying" on the back or inside of the cigar box pug purse with an acrylic pen.
Shannon Sybirski of Dana Point, Calif., has been immersed in the arts her entire life. Her grandmother was a painter and a mentor. She majored in art and even became an art teacher but never really found her niche until she decided to pay tribute to her friend's family of dogs with a series of portraits as a birthday present. As soon as the birthday partygoers saw her work, she knew she was finally barking up the right tree. Since then, she has been using her pooch painting skills on everything from funky jewelry to furry cigar box purses.
Spruce up your light switches with holiday cheer with these tips. You can also make a holiday fashion statement with a...