Halloween Party Food: Spooky Goat Cheese Fingers
Makes 12 "fingers"
12 ounces plain goat cheese (not crumbles), at room temperature
1 jar roasted red peppers
salt and pepper
1/2 cup sliced almonds
red edible marker (available at craft or specialty baking stores)
1. Roughly chop one-quarter cup of jarred roasted red peppers, then combine in a blender or food processor with goat cheese until creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until cold (the cold cheese is easier to work with and will better maintain its shape).
2. Scoop out one tablespoon of goat cheese mixture, then roll into a log that's the length and width of a finger. (A little irregularity is fine, and actually makes each finger look more realistic.) Repeat with remainder of cheese and place fingers on a serving platter.
3. Use a paring knife to score "knuckles" onto the top and middle of each finger (Image 1).
4. Separate out the unbroken almond slices (you'll need one for each finger), then color each one red using an edible marker. Gently press one onto the top of each goat cheese finger to resemble red fingernails.
5. Serve with a cheese knife and assortment of plain and whole-wheat crackers and flatbread.