No-Sew Roller Shade
Alice Fakier, an HGTV Design Star finalist, shows how to make a roller shade -- no sewing necessary.
The spray adhesive works fast. Be sure to get all your wrinkles out immediately, or you’ll be stuck with a wrinkly shade.
Materials and Tools:
roller shade (Magic Fit - Amazon.com
2 yards of fabric (yellow background rich floral, item #3332 - Milling Around)
decorator trim (red, green, gold acorn fringe, item #2381 - Milling Around)
spray adhesive ( Hobby Lobby)
adhesive tape (Tesa clear double sided emblem adhesive tape - Caddo Paint)
shade hardware (Newell Wind - Lowe's)
1. Go to a highly ventilated area for this first step. Lay your fabric out and spray with your adhesive. Spray about 6–8 inches away. Be sure to use your painter's mask for this step.
2. Carefully lay your fabric on top of the roller. Crease any wrinkles out.
3. Back at your workspace, grab your scissors and cut the fabric along the edge of the shade.
4. Roll your shade back up.
5. Measure your trim along the bottom edge of the shade, leaving a little room on both sides.
6. Measure out the appropriate length for your double sided adhesive tape.
7. Press your tape into place and peel off the top layer.
8. Carefully press your trim onto the tape.
9. Tuck the trim on each side to hide the seam.
DIY Grain Sack Kitchen Barstool Cushions
Inexpensive canvas drop cloths, acrylic paint and basic sewing skills come together to create fabulous custom cushions for kitchen barstools or chairs.
How to Make a Mica Hurricane Candleholder
These candleholders make great gifts for family and friends.
A Year of DIY Wreaths
The crafting experts at HGTV Magazine show you how to dress your door with a different easy-to-make wreath every month.
How to Make a Living Wreath
A wreath can be made from more than just dried flowers and ribbons. Try living plant materials to freshen your decor.
How to Make Rubber Stamp Art
Use ultraviolet light to make a stamp from a negative, and create a work of art with the stamps.
How to Make a Statue Mold
Use latex, putty and gypsum cement to create an artistic sculpture.
Dimensional Collage Frame
Pick out images from magazines to create this dimensional collage frame.
Custom Window Treatments 101
HGTV Magazine shares advice on everything from measuring and buying fabric to where to go for custom window curtains, drapes, and shades.
How to Make a Papier Mache Bowl With Leaves
Cover the back of a bowl with newspaper strips and spackle, and use paint and leaves to create a decorative piece.
Photocopy Printmaking Collage
Create one-of-a-kind art pieces with a photocopy printmaking technique.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.