Textured Paint for Stair Safety
If your outdoor steps are a little too smooth for safety, coat them with floor enamel and a nonslip additive. Here's how to do it:
Materials and Tools:
orbital sander with 80-grit sanding pads
clean work towel
polyurethane floor enamel
- Clean stairs with all-purpose cleaner and a brush, and rinse thoroughly. Dry the stairs with a clean towel.
- Once the stairs are clean and dry, roughen the surface with an orbital sander using 80-grit paper. This is an important step, since the paint will adhere better to a rough surface.
- Wipe stairs down with a clean towel moistened with paint thinner to remove any residual dust.
- Mix a nonslip additive into exterior floor enamel and blend thoroughly with a stir stick.
- Pour paint mixture into a paint tray and apply with a roller to create a textured surface. Allow the paint to dry at least 24 hours before using the steps.