Preparing Children for a Move
Moving expert Cindy Borup shares tips on helping children make a smooth transition from one home to the next.
Tips for a smooth transition:
- Write the date you are moving on the family calendar, so your child is well aware of when it is happening.
- If your children are older, have them pack up their own rooms or favorite items. Supply them with markers, crayons, stickers and labels so they can decorate their own boxes.
- Take pictures or video of the new home or town, so they become familiar with the new surroundings.
- Make a folder for each child that includes brochures about their new city such as theaters, libraries, parks and sports teams. Be sure to include information on activities they enjoy.
- Get a large map of the new area. Locate and mark several of the places you have discussed as well as where the new house will be.
- Ask your children to draw a picture of how they will arrange and decorate their new room. You could even help make a floor plan.
- A going-away party is a great way to create some lasting memories from the "old" home. Have your children help plan the event. Have a special address book at the party where their friends can write down their contact information.
- Another ideas for the party is to buy a plain T-shirt for your child and ask their friends to sign or write a special message on it.
- Give each of your child's friends a postcard that has already been stamped and addressed with your new address, and ask them to send a note after the move.
- Make your child a snack bag for moving day.
10 Best-Kept Secrets for Buying a Home
Get the most out of your money with these handy home-buying tips.
Tips for Creating a Comfortable, Safe Room for Your Child
Learn how to incorporate safety, storage and style into a space your little one will love.
The 7 Best Tablets for Kids
Enhance your kids' screen time with a tablet designed just for them. With kid-friendly apps, safe web browsing and protective cases, these tablets are ready for your youngest and oldest.
How to Prepare Your Home for a Baby
Expecting an addition to your family? Consider safety, storage and comfort to get your home ready for a baby.
The 10 Best Kids' Playhouses
Ignite your children's imaginations with a creative playhouse, where they will pretend with friends, create their own stories and have unforgettable adventures.
How to Clean a Child's Car Seat
Nix the dirt and left-behind crumbs from your kid's in-car snack break. Keep your family's car seats and booster seats clean with these easy routines for spot-cleaning and tackling stains.
The Best Bags for Traveling With Kids
Whether the sunshine season has you hitting the road or exploring your city, the right bag might mean the difference between a successful trip or a downright disastrous one — especially when you're toting everything your kids need on a minute-by-minute basis.
The Best Backyard Swing Sets for Kids
Create a backyard made for entertaining your kids all year round with a ready-for-play swing set.
How to Pet-Proof Your Garden
Learn how to keep the peace between your garden and pets with these nine simple tips.
Bearaby Just Launched a Kids' Version of Our Favorite Weighted Blanket
And the name is just as cute as the blanket.