Organizing Kids' Closets
Organizing kids' clothing — and keeping it that way — is possible with these 10 closet organizing tips.
There are many ways to keep a kid's closet organized and accessible without spending a lot of money or time. Organizing expert Louise Kurzeka shares her top 10 tips:
- First, take everything out of the closet and sort, establishing what stays and what goes.
- Use the highest shelf to store out-of-season clothes or hand-me-downs from an older sibling. Store in labeled containers by season (fall/winter, spring/summer) or by size (3T, for example). Hang out-of-season dresses in the back part of the closet.
- Place a cardboard box on an upper shelf for donations. As the child outgrows items, they can immediately be put in the donation box.
- Pair up matching outfits and store them on one hanger.
- Place a tall kitchen garbage can on the closet floor and use it as a dirty clothes hamper. Kids are more likely to use a hamper/clothes basket when it is close to where they change clothes.
- Place a basket on the floor of the closet for storing stuffed animals.
- For younger children, it may be easiest to create a home for their shoes by designating a dishpan on the closet floor.
- Install a hanging accessory bag with at least seven shelves. Label each shelf with a day of the week and place a complete outfit on each to make getting dressed for school a snap.
- A shoe-hanging bag is a great organizing tool for holding small stuffed animals, dolls and action figures.
- For an older child's closet that has wire shelving, consider placing heavy plastic shelf liners on the shelves. Items such as mementos and collectible figurines will be less likely to fall through the shelving.
6 steps to a spruced-up space
Follow these simple steps for using storage containers to organize your catchall closet.
Learn how to make your closet work for you — and your clothes.
Space-saving strategies and inexpensive storage can help you "think outside the closet" when tackling linen closet organization.
5 tips for teaching children to keep a clean room
Get the organized closet of your dreams with our strategies for storing clothes, photos and art supplies. Plus, learn how to turn your closet into an office.
9 tips for turning cluttered drawers into useful storage space.
Check out these tips for whipping your teen's bedroom into shape with a plan that addresses both work and play.
A Mission: Organization expert offers advice for getting a bedroom in order.
Professional organizer Liz Witts offers tips on how to control clutter.