How to Install a Motion Detector
Deter burglars and light your own path with these instructions.
Motion-detector lights alert you to any movement in key spots around your home. Here's how to install one:
Materials and Tools:
- Turn off the power at the main breaker switch.
- Remove the old light fixture and replace it with the new motion-sensor lights, connecting the white wire to white and the black wire to black with the wire nuts.
- Tuck all the wires neatly into the socket.
- Points the bulbs and the sensor in the desired directions.
- Secure the fixture in place with screws.
- Place water-shield gaskets on the base of the bulbs before inserting.
- Make any final adjustments according to the manufacturer's directions.
How to Install Wainscoting to a Wall
Add an instant touch of class to a room with these step-by-step instructions on installing beadboard wainscoting.
How to Hang Wallpaper
Learn to hang pre-pasted wallpaper with this beginner-friendly tutorial.
How to Replace a Window
When it's time to replace an outdated, inefficient window, it can be hard to know where to start, so we’ve got everything you need to know to get the job done.
How to Install French Drains
Divert groundwater from the basement or foundation with the help of gravel and fabric.
How to Identify Basic Electrical Wiring
Whether you’re changing an outlet, light fixture or switch, the first thing you need to know is what all those different colored wires are for.
How to Cut Backer Board and Tips on How to Install It
Backer board (aka cement board) is sturdy and solid, but it is surprisingly easy to cut. Learn the best methods for cutting the various sizes of backer board, plus, get a few tips on how to install it.
How to Install a Dimmer Switch
Learn how to replace a standard light switch with a dimmer switch.
You'll Wonder How You Ever Lived Without These Handy Touch-Up Tools
Retouching paint on walls and refreshing wood furniture and flooring is much easier with these clever touch-up products for your home.
How to Replace an Outdoor Water Spigot
If your outdoor hose spigot is leaking from the spout, it’s time to replace it. Here’s how to knock out this project in no time at all using a few simple tools.
8 Ways to Fix Drafty Windows
Save money and stay warm this winter with these DIY ways to insulate and weather-strip windows as well as doors.