How to Make a Square Corn Husk Wreath
Put a contemporary twist on traditional fall decorating; easily create a square corn husk wreath for your front door.
By: Layla Palmer
- 36" x 12" x 2" sheet of floral Styrofoam
- medium craft paintbrush
- maize yellow acrylic paint
- natural-colored grapevine wire
- 24 small ears of Indian corn
- spray bottle filled with water
- black marker
- drywall or foam-cutting knife
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- measuring tape
Create Foam Square
Using a measuring tape and black marker, mark a 12-inch square on foam, then draw a 10-inch square inside the 12-inch square.
Cut and Paint Foam
Use a drywall or foam-cutting knife to cut the foam along the lines drawn in the previous step. Use a medium-sized craft paintbrush to coat the wreath form in maize-colored acrylic paint and allow to dry.
Wrap the Wreath and Attach Corn
Crisscross the entire wreath form several times with raffia. Attach two ears of Indian corn to each corner of the wreath with hot glue. Continue adding remaining ears of Indian corn to the wreath until you're happy with the arrangement.
Wet, Then Unravel Husks
Spray each husk with a generous amount of water, allowing them to get soggy. Then unravel each husk to add fullness to the wreath and allow husks to dry.
Add Hanger and Display
Twist a length of grapevine wire around the top of the wreath to act as a hanger. Hang your completed wreath on the front door, over a mirror or above a mantel or buffet.
Make a Chain of Thanks for Thanksgiving
Turn giving thanks into a game. Print out our free printable template, attach to twine and ask your Thanksgiving guests to write down what they're thankful for, then take turns reading the sentiments aloud during dinner.
How to Make a Custom Dining Chair Slipcover
Give everyday dining chairs a stylish makeover with easy-to-create linen slipcovers with flirty ruffled skirts. Slipcovers are a great way to disguise mismatched seating or give dated chairs a quick update.
New Thanksgiving Tradition: Create a Thankful Tree
Give thanks in a new way this holiday season. Invite friends and family to share what they are most thankful for by creating a thankful tree that can take center stage throughout the Thanksgiving holiday.
Thanksgiving Place Card and Party Favor
How about a little pheasant to go with your turkey this Thanksgiving? These cute fellas are easy to make and act as both a place card and party favor your guests can take with them.
Easy-to-Craft Fall Leaf Centerpiece
Looking for an inexpensive, seasonal centerpiece that will last through the fall? All you need is some patterned scrapbook paper, twine, glitter spray and a few branches from your backyard.
How to Make Pomegranate Place-Card Holders
Easily turn real or faux pomegranates into gilded place-card holders to add an organic, rustic touch to your Thanksgiving place settings.
Make a Rustic Twig Table Runner
Bring an organic touch to your Thanksgiving table by creating a beautiful runner made of twigs. Kids will love scavenging for twigs in the yard, and assembly is easy enough that they can help craft it, too.
Quick and Easy Thanksgiving Place Card
Put the finishing touch on your Thanksgiving table with our free printable place cards.
Make a Rustic Tablecloth With Ruffled Burlap Trim
Embellish a basic thrift-store or hand-me-down white tablecloth with strips of inexpensive burlap to give the plain table linen a sophisticated, custom look, perfect for Thanksgiving.
Metallic Copper, Gold and Silver Pumpkins
Give faux pumpkins a glamorous makeover with gold, silver and copper leaf. They'll add just the right amount of sparkle to a fall display or Thanksgiving centerpiece.
- Our 45 Favorite Fall Decorating Ideas
- 25 Thanksgiving Table Setting Ideas
- 31 Centerpieces You Can Make
- 25 Warm & Toasty Appetizers
- Thanksgiving Main Dishes & Sides
- 21 Cold Weather Cocktails
- 30 Irresistible Fall Desserts
- 10 Tips for a Simply Chic Thanksgiving
- Set Up a Turkey Day To-Go Station
- 20 Modern, Organic Table-Setting Ideas
- 21 Tips for Setting Up a Dessert Buffet
- Our Stars' Best Holiday Hosting Tips
- How to Set a Rustic Fall Table
- Set a Glamorous, Glittering Table
- Stress Less, Serve Buffet Style
- Host A Casual Thanksgiving Brunch
- Get Your Dining Room Ready to Party
- Set Up a Kid-Pleasing Snack Station
- Video: Tips From Our Pros
- Set Up a Kids' Thanksgiving Table
- 19 Turkey Day Kids' Crafts
- 15 Tips for Guest Bedrooms
- Host Weekend Guests Like a Pro
- 12 Guest Bathroom Prep Tips
- 8 Traditional Thanksgiving Decorating Ideas
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.