How to Make a Reindeer Pillow for the Holidays
Give a plain pillow a playful, holiday update using our free printable reindeer template.
- 20x20 plain pillow cover (readymade or follow instructions below)
- brown craft paint
- paint brush or foam brush
Make 20x20 Pillow Cover
1. Cut 1 piece of fabric that's 21" x 21" for the pillow's front piece.
2. Cut 2 pieces of fabric that are 21" x 25" for the pillow's back pieces.
3. Create the finished edge of the back envelope enclosure by placing the back piece rectangles right-side-down on your work space. Double hem one 21" edge of each piece by folding the edge 1/2 inch, pressing, then folding over again 1/2 inch and pressing. Pin and machine stitch at 3/8". Your back pieces should now be 21" x 24".
4. Assemble your pillow front and back pieces by placing your front piece right-side-up on your work space. Next, place your back pieces right-side-down on top of your front piece. Align the 21" raw edges on the left and right of the front piece while in the middle overlapping the finished edges. Pin and machine stitch the perimeter with a 1/2" seam allowance.
5. Clip the corners of your pillow cover to reduce bulk as you turn the cover right-side-out — be careful to clip closely without cutting the seams. Use a point turner or a closed pair of scissors to help form your crisp corners. Carefully press your completed cover.
Download and print either the multiple sheet template if using 8-1/2x11 paper or the 11x17 template (Image 1). Use scissors to cut out the silhouette then trace around the design onto your pillow's front center using a pencil (Image 2).
Fill In Design
Use paint brush or foam brush to apply craft paint to pillow, filling in the traced area (Image 1). Once paint has dried, display your finished pillow indoors or outdoors in a covered location (Image 2).