Scroll For More Photos
Church of the Cross
Calhoun Street, the main road through Old Town, terminates on the bluff overlooking the May River. Serene and contemplative, this spot was chosen by the Anglican congregation to build the historic Church of the Cross in 1857. One of the only structures spared from burning by Union troops, this gothic cruciform structure is clad in unfinished cypress. The pink glass for the windows came from England, and the exposed beams are hand hewn from indigenous yellow pine. Designed by notable 19th century Charleston architect E. B. White, the Church of the Cross was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.