How to Paint Cabinets
Use these easy steps to update a kitchen by painting the cabinets.
Materials and Tools:
paint for base coat
1. After removing the cabinet doors, wipe them with warm soapy water to remove dirt and grime, and then rinse thoroughly.
2. Sand the surface completely so the primer will adhere and remove the dust. Note: Don't skip this step; it's critical for a long-lasting paint job.
3. Prime the entire cabinet (tint it as close to the final color as possible for faster coverage). Let dry.
4. Apply the top coat with a roller (for large areas) or brush (be sure to lay off the paint in even strokes for a nice finish). Let dry. If you want to take a short break, cover the roller and bucket with a plastic garbage bag.
5. To add texture, roll glaze over the top coat and drag a weaver brush held almost parallel to the cabinet vertically, and then horizontally right away to create a basket weave pattern.
Distressed and Antiqued Kitchen Cabinets
Add cottage-style charm to white painted cabinets by distressing then applying antiquing glaze. This quick and easy project will give builder basic cabinets a custom look in no time.
How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets
Get a budget-friendly way to update your kitchen cabinets with paint and a simple glaze treatment.
How to Give Your Kitchen Cabinets a Makeover
Refinishing your worn kitchen cabinets can be a cost-saving alternative to replacing them.
How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets
Follow these steps from HGTV Magazine to create this fun DIY painting project.
Update Kitchen Cabinets With Glass Inserts
With these easy, step-by-step instructions, anyone can quickly and inexpensively transform builder-grade cabinet doors into beautiful, custom-looking glass insert doors.
Kitchen Catch-Up: How to Install Cabinets
Installing kitchen cabinets is a great way to save money on a kitchen renovation.
Paint Technique: Aged Copper Instructions
Paint wood or even laminate cabinets in an aged copper finish for a rich look. Follow these step-by-step instructions.
Distressed Kitchen Cabinets
This timeless antique look for your kitchen cabinets is all the character your kitchen needs.
5 Steps to Distressed Wood Cabinets
Add an easy, distressed finish to a cabinet door with wax and paint.
Install Glass in Cabinet Doors
Open up a kitchen by cutting openings in the cabinet doors and installing glass panes.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada