Turn Old Canvas Drop Cloths into Modern Art
Recycle an old drop cloth by transforming it into art canvases to create a triptych of modern art.
Tools and Materials:
canvas drop cloth
paintbrushes, paint rollers and roller covers
primer and latex paint
three wooden frames to wrap the canvas around
pneumatic upholstery stapler and upholstery staples
1. Roll the canvas out on a table or flat surface. If the canvas is reused, make sure to first shake out any dust or debris.
2. Use paint rollers to cover the canvas with primer. Cover a large enough surface to for your three canvas frames.
3. When the primer has dried, use latex paint to create a large, abstract mural.
4. When the mural has dried, lay the canvas face-down on your work surface. Line up the frames evenly and leave about six inches between each frame. Use a pencil to trace around the frame leaving 2 to 3 inches all around so that the canvas can be folded over the frame and stapled.
5. Use scissors to cut the canvas around the frames.
6. Wrap the canvas around the frame and secure with a pneumatic upholstery stapler. Staple opposite sides to create a taught canvas, working around the frame in a star pattern (similar to changing a tire).
How to Make a Hand-Painted Glass Candle Bowl
Make a glass candle bowl into a beautiful, stylish centerpiece with these simple steps.
How to Make a Recycled Metal Fish Sculpture
Turn an old car hood into a fish sculpture with simple welding techniques.
How to Make a Glass Mosaic Dog Mirror
Follow these steps to make a dog-themed, stained glass mosaic mirror.
Embossing a Leather Photo Frame
Wrap a plain wooden photo frame in leather and dress it up with this stenciling/embossing technique.
Paint a Funky Vase
Turn a clear glass vase into a canvas for your artistry.
How to Make Ceramic and Metal Garden Art
Make a ceramic face and attach it to transmission gear to create a whimsical garden sculpture.
Auto Part Art Dog Sculpture
An engineer uses auto parts to sculpt a metal dog.
How to Make a Steel Lily Wall Sconce
Weld and sculpt a steel lily to hang on your wall for instant industrial, modern style.
How to Make a Primitive Platter
Meg Spielman Peldo makes a ceramic platter, breaks it, then reassembles it to create this work of art.
12 Projects for the Holidays
Learn how to transform your home with fun holiday decorations.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.