How-To: Customize a Jute Rug With Trim
HGTV Magazine shows you how to put your stamp on basic items with these easy makeover ideas.
- jute rug (such as Addison and Banks flat-woven solid pattern rug, amazon.com)
- ribbon (Athena 2.5" decorative trim in cobalt, calicocorners.com)
- ribbon (Anna Maria Horner Meander ribbon in coral on green, renaissanceribbons.com)
- hot glue gun and glue
- fringe (Single Knot cotton fringe, mjtrim.com)
- dye (Liquid dye in lemon yellow, ritdye.com)
- trim (Classic 2" pom-pom fringe in purple, warehousefabricsinc.com)
For Greek Key Ribbon
Cut two pieces of ribbon to the rug’s width and two pieces to its length, adding two inches to each piece. Hot-glue the longer ribbons along the rug’s top and bottom edges, folding under one inch on each end for a clean edge. Repeat with the shorter pieces on the sides.
For Colorful Fringe
Dye the fringe, following the instructions on the dye packaging, and let dry. Cut two pieces of fringe to the rug’s width. Hot-glue the base of the fringe under each side of the rug.
Cut two pieces each of pom-pom trim and 5/8-inch ribbon to the rug’s width, adding two inches to each piece of ribbon. Hot-glue the base of the pom-pom trim under each side of the rug. Hot-glue the ribbon along each side, folding under one inch on each end for a clean edge.