Holiday Food Gift: Hazelnut Hot Cocoa Recipe
Hot cocoa warms even the chilliest of days. Share the warmth this holiday season by packaging ingredients for delectable hazelnut hot cocoa into a canning jar and handing them out as sweet gifts.
By: Sam Henderson
Ingredients (for the hot cocoa mix)
2 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups powdered milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Yield: 12 jars
Materials Needed (for each jar)
2 small plastic pouches or bags
1/2 cup hot cocoa mix
1 to-go packet of hazelnut spread
4 chocolate-covered biscuit sticks
1-pint-sized canning jars
1 6" cloth circle
printable cocoa instruction card
For the cocoa mix:
1. Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
For the jars:
1. Place 1/2 cup cocoa mix in 12 pouches. Seal pouches with tape or tie with ribbon.
2. Place 4 chocolate-covered biscuit sticks in 12 pouches. Seal pouches with tape or tie with ribbon.
3. Place 1 cocoa-mix packet, 1 biscuit-stick packet, 1 hazelnut-spread packet and 1 instruction card in each of the 12 jars. Place flat lid on top and cover with cloth circle. Top with ring. Add ribbon around the ring.
Making Hot Cocoa
1. Place cocoa mix in the jar. Add 3/4 of hazelnut spread (Image 1). Reserve the rest.
2. Add 12 ounces of warm water (or milk) (Image 2). Stir to dissolve completely.
3. Crush 2 biscuit sticks. Set aside.
4. Top with whipped cream (Image 3) and crushed biscuit sticks.
5. Add a swirl of the remaining hazelnut spread (Image 4). Garnish with remaining biscuit sticks (Image 5).
Holiday Food Gift: Coffee Cupcakes Recipe
These coffee-flavored cupcakes make the perfect homemade holiday gift and come in their own coffee-themed to-go container. Dress them up with a ribbon and mini ornament to spread seasonal cheer.
Handmade Herbal Tea Bags
Surprise all the tea lovers on your gift list with handmade herbal tea sachets for Christmas or any occasion.
Cranberry Bliss Dacquoise Recipe
This rich and decadent dessert has all the best flavors of the holiday season. Make the components ahead of time and assemble just before serving to really wow your guests.
Chocolate-Covered Peppermint Crispies Recipe
A year-round favorite treat gets a delicious update for the holidays. Add the flavors of chocolate and peppermint to crisp rice treats before packaging them as homemade gifts for family and friends.
Make Flavored Alcohol
Preserve the taste of summer by adding fruit to gin or vodka and allowing the fruit to infuse the alcohol till winter. Poured into a decorative bottle, this delicious concoction is perfect for holiday entertaining or as a handmade gift.
Holiday Food Gift: Coffee Caramel Corn Recipe
This fun treat will put a little pep in your step. Caramel corn gets a jolt from coffee, making it a hit for the holiday season. Package the "pep-corn" in tubes covered with our free printable template for a one-of-a-kind homemade gift.
Homemade Maple Nut Toffee Recipe
Take the traditional taste of toffee up a notch with the addition of real maple syrup. It's perfect for holiday gift-giving or just enjoying yourself.
Homemade Marshmallow Treats
Create these melt-in-your-mouth goodies for all the sweet tooths on your Christmas gift list.
Citrus Marmalade Recipe
Tangy citrus marmalade is simple to make and, canned in jars, it is a thoughtful holiday gift. Pair your homemade marmalade with freshly baked croissants or scones for a treat they'll never forget.
Cranberry Orange Linzer Cookies Recipe
Sweet and tart, these sandwich cookies combine two favorite seasonal flavors and are as pretty as they are tasty.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.