Holiday Food Gift: Hazelnut Hot Cocoa Recipe
Hot cocoa warms even the chilliest of days. Share the warmth this holiday season by packaging ingredients for delectable hazelnut hot cocoa into a canning jar and handing them out as sweet gifts.
Ingredients (for the hot cocoa mix)
2 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups powdered milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Yield: 12 jars
Materials Needed (for each jar)
2 small plastic pouches or bags
1/2 cup hot cocoa mix
1 to-go packet of hazelnut spread
4 chocolate-covered biscuit sticks
1-pint-sized canning jars
1 6" cloth circle
printable cocoa instruction card
For the cocoa mix:
1. Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
For the jars:
1. Place 1/2 cup cocoa mix in 12 pouches. Seal pouches with tape or tie with ribbon.
2. Place 4 chocolate-covered biscuit sticks in 12 pouches. Seal pouches with tape or tie with ribbon.
3. Place 1 cocoa-mix packet, 1 biscuit-stick packet, 1 hazelnut-spread packet and 1 instruction card in each of the 12 jars. Place flat lid on top and cover with cloth circle. Top with ring. Add ribbon around the ring.
Making Hot Cocoa
1. Place cocoa mix in the jar. Add 3/4 of hazelnut spread (Image 1). Reserve the rest.
2. Add 12 ounces of warm water (or milk) (Image 2). Stir to dissolve completely.
3. Crush 2 biscuit sticks. Set aside.
4. Top with whipped cream (Image 3) and crushed biscuit sticks.
5. Add a swirl of the remaining hazelnut spread (Image 4). Garnish with remaining biscuit sticks (Image 5).