Weekend Projects: Install Wainscoting
Add dimension and style to your bathroom with wainscoting. It will take less than a weekend and cost around $100 in materials.
Tools and Materials:
baseboard with a rebate (notch) on the back side
tongue and groove beadboard
nail gun and nails
circular saw and miter saw
roller and paintbrush
1. If you have a tile baseboard or any other variety remove it.
2. Cut the new baseboards down to size. Miter cut the corners to fit accordingly. Attach with glue and the nail gun.
3. Start installing the beadboard panels. Apply adhesive to the back of each panel and slide the piece down into the notch on the baseboard. Make sure the first piece of beadboard is level and plumb, this will help ensure that the rest follow suit. Secure the beadboard with nails. Shoot most of your nails into the top of beadboard so most of your nail holes will be covered with the chair rail.
4. Attach the chair rail to the top of the wainscoting with adhesive and the nail gun.
5. Fill nail holes and gaps with caulk, then paint.