How to Make a Hardcover Book Purse
Transform an old book and a favorite fabric into a stylish handbag with these steps.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
old hardcover book
old button to match
metal handle frames
braided ribbon trim
1. Cut the pages out of the book with a craft knife.
2. Iron the fabric.
3. Measure the book's height and width, add 1 inch to each and use those measurements to make a triangular pattern for the side pieces.
4. Cut the main lining piece, four side pieces (half and half), one pocket piece and a bottom piece out of the fabric.
5. Pin the side pieces together, right sides in.
6. Select beads for the handle and string them on the frame. Fold four 2-inch pieces of grosgrain ribbon over the handle-frame feet and pin in place.
7. Thread the button through a piece of ribbon and make a loop closure to fit it.
8. Sew two pinned triangular side pieces.
9. Sew ribbons on the handles and the button closure. Glue the handles and button closures to the book cover. Allow to dry.
10. Glue ribbon trim to the outside of the book.
11. Iron side pieces right side out, with ½-inch on all sides ironed in, and pin to hold the fold.
12. Glue the bottoms of the triangular side pieces to the book spine. Cut cardboard to the size of the spine. Glue it into place.
13. Glue side pieces to the book cover, one side at a time.
14. Iron the main lining with a ½-inch seam around each edge.
15. Glue the main lining into the book.
16. Cut another piece of cardboard the same size as the spine, cover it with fabric and glue it to the bottom of the purse.
Transform an old cigar box into a stylish purse with these simple instructions.