How to Make a Front Porch Christmas Tree
- one live or artificial Christmas tree and tree stand
- large basket (inside dimensions must be larger than the Christmas tree stand)
- 6-8 large stones or bricks
- one roll of burlap garland (available at arts and crafts stores)
- two packages of plastic indoor/outdoor ornaments
- 48 small twigs
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- one package of wire ornament hooks
Choose a basket that is wide enough to completely surround the Christmas tree stand. It should be at least 10 inches high, but not too much higher than the bottom branches of the tree.
If it's a lidded basket, remove the lid with a wire cutter.
Place the Christmas tree and stand in the basket. Once it's in position, cover the stand with several large stones or bricks to ensure that it doesn't ever topple over.
Wind burlap garland around the entire tree, from top to bottom.
Use ornament hooks to secure several plastic indoor/outdoor ornaments to the tree.
Add Twig Snowflakes
Create snowflake-shaped ornaments by hot-gluing four small twigs together, spray-painting them white and attaching an ornament hook to the top of them with a dab of hot glue. Hang the snowflakes randomly around the tree, and pinch the ornament hooks together around each tree branch to ensure they don't fall off.