How to Install French Doors
Brighten up your living space by installing new French doors.
Installing French doors isn't an easy task, but with these helpful instructions, the end result is worth the extra work.
Materials and Tools:
regular drill bit
flush cutting saw
French door kit with frame
hardware (doorknobs, latches)
1. Remove the old frame around the opening with a hammer and pry bars where you want to install French doors. Remove trim carefully so you don't damage it, and label the pieces as you go to make putting them back up easier.
2. Use the long level and carpenter's square to make sure the inside of the opening is square and true.
3. Install the new frame and firm it up using shims. Drill pilot holes through the frame and shims. Drive nails just far enough to temporarily hold frame in place.
4. Test-fit the new doors before securing frame permanently. Make adjustments if necessary to make sure doors open and close properly.
5. Once everything fits and is plumb, secure frame permanently with screws.
6. Hang doors and install door hardware according to manufacturer's instruction.
How to Install French Doors in Outdoor Spaces
Bring indoor decor to an outside space with these step-by-step instructions.
How to Install a Garage-Door Opener
All you need is three hours and these easy step-by-step instructions.
Installing Pocket Doors
Steve Watson helps install pocket doors in keeping with the style of a Victorian interior.
Brighten up the Room by Installing French Doors
Open up a room to the outside and bring light inside by installing new French doors.
How to Install Metal Door Arches
Remake an entrance with these step-by-step instructions.
How to Install a Pre-Hung Door
Replace a door the easy way with these step-by-step instructions.
Expanding a Window to a Door
Add an extra opening to your home by converting a window to a door.
How to Install Bypass Closet Doors
Tuck a utility room out of sight with this simple project.
Install a New Front Door
Change and update your home by installing a new front door.
Install Electric Garage Door Opener
Add convenience while enhancing home security with a garage door opener.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada