How to Install French Doors
Brighten up your living space by installing new French doors.
Installing French doors isn't an easy task, but with these helpful instructions, the end result is worth the extra work.
Materials and Tools:
regular drill bit
flush cutting saw
French door kit with frame
hardware (doorknobs, latches)
1. Remove the old frame around the opening with a hammer and pry bars where you want to install French doors. Remove trim carefully so you don't damage it, and label the pieces as you go to make putting them back up easier.
2. Use the long level and carpenter's square to make sure the inside of the opening is square and true.
3. Install the new frame and firm it up using shims. Drill pilot holes through the frame and shims. Drive nails just far enough to temporarily hold frame in place.
4. Test-fit the new doors before securing frame permanently. Make adjustments if necessary to make sure doors open and close properly.
5. Once everything fits and is plumb, secure frame permanently with screws.
6. Hang doors and install door hardware according to manufacturer's instruction.
Easy Storage Guidelines
Develop rules and go step by step so storage decisions don't seem overwhelming.
How to Store Cleaning Supplies
Let’s face it: Cleaning isn't most people’s idea of fun. But there’s also no reason to make it harder than it has to be. Take some of the pain out of household chores with these tips for keeping cleaning supplies sorted and at the ready.
Installing Fiberglass Batt Insulation
Use these tips and techniques to ensure proper installation of fiberglass insulation.
Fix a Door That Won't Stay Shut
Fix a door that won't stay shut with these step-by-step instructions.
Roofing Component Basics
Roofing terminology can be a bit overwhelming. These basic roofing definitions will help get your project off on the right foot.
How to Make a Guitar Rack
Save space and display your prized instruments with these step-by-step instructions.
Dramatic Striped Ceiling Update
The ceiling is a room's fifth wall. Give this often overlooked area a big dose of personality with an easier-than-it-looks graphic paint treatment.
Demolition: Removing Walls
Follow these guidelines for a safe takedown.
Repairing Roof Damage
A homeowner wants to know the cost of repairing a hole caused by moisture from a damaged roof.
Astronomical Wall Clock
Dale Mathis creates an astronomical wall clock.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.