20 Dreamy Ideas for a Not-Boring White Bedroom
These neutral, chill-out zones from HGTV Magazine are anything but a style snooze.
Photo By: Sarah Elliott
Photo By: LANE DITTOE
Photo By: Nicole Wallace
Photo By: CHRISTOPHER LEE
Photo By: janis nicolay
Photo By: LESLEY UNRUH
Photo By: JANIS NICOLAY
- 1. Hang a sculptural light: A fixture with widely spaced arms draws the eye up, enhancing the airiness of white. Shades turned toward the ceiling spare the glare.
- 2. Add touches of gray: That way, you avoid a sterile whiteout. The gray bed and pillows with white designs are understated enough to keep the softness going.
- 3. Bring in one cool piece: Having a focal point, like a wide woven bench, helps a light-color room’s quieter elements come alive.
Room design: Chango and Co.
- 4. Clear the air: Exposed Edison bulbs cast a dim-in-a-good-way light that offsets bright white walls.
- 5. Pick vintage-y pieces: Weathered nightstands fit right into a mellow palette and give that lived-in look so white doesn’t seem stuffy.
- 6. Get a pet stool or two: Furry ones deliver a hit of fun — and extra seating, too.
Room design: Kim Woods Interior Design
- 7. Don’t forget the details: Floral cutouts on the headboard and jumbo tassels on the throw add charm to white.
- 8. Soothe with sheer panels: Gauzy curtains bathe the room in a glow so white, it’s extra ethereal.
- 9. Opt for open nightstands: They create breezy spots for mini bursts of color — like a lamp, a vase or good old books.
Room design: Design Shop Interiors
- 10. Paint it cozy: A creamy shade on the walls (this one is Pointing by Farrow & Ball) takes the chill out of a white space.
- 11. Be reflective: Mirrored doors — thick frames make them modern — bounce sunny rays around for yet more warmth.
- 12. Embrace texture: A chunky throw, fluffy pillows and a hanging juju hat amp up the snuggly vibe.
Room design: Urban Shore Interior Design
- 13. Mix in metallics: Presto! White gets exciting. Stick with wallpaper that has a small-scale pattern and coordinating pillows for shimmer that’s not over-the-top.
- 14. Keep your head in the clouds: The temptingly soft look of a tufted headboard (this is the Stephanie bed from thecrossdesign.com) is just right for a white bedroom.
- 15. Lighten the floors: You can’t beat blond wood for that calm, clean feel.
Room design: Andrea Rodman
- 16. Define with design: A black border on the crisp white bedding and a graphic upholstered bench offer chic contrast that distinguishes a white space.
- 17. Whitewash it: To lighten up the bricks, wall paint was diluted with thinner and swept on with a large brush (a roller would’ve given too much coverage).
Room design: Tharon Anderson Design
- 18) Wow with wood: It may be a neutral but it makes things interesting. No beams? Fake ’em! Foam versions are cheaper and easier to install than the real deal (check out foamfactory.com).
- 19) Play with pattern: Sweet yet subtle motifs, like on the wallpaper and bone-inlay nightstand, style up white.
- 20) Take it to another level: White is expansive … sometimes too expansive in a room with tall ceilings. A simple canopy bed fills the space beautifully.
Room design: Purity Designs