Hot Cross Buns Recipe
2 packages (1/4 ounce) yeast
1 cups warm water
1 cup warm milk
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar + 1/4 teaspoon
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup raisins
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons water
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water (110 degrees F) and 1/4 teaspoon sugar and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine milk, eggs, butter, sugar, salt, spices, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth.
3. Add in raisins and additional flour (1/2 cup at a time) until soft dough is formed. Dough will still be slightly sticky.
4. Knead dough on a floured surface for 5-6 minutes.
5. Place in well-greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours. For a warm location to let yeast rise, turn on oven for one minute, then turn off. Set bowl inside oven.
6. When doubled in size, press down dough down using your fists. Divide into small balls (30 regular size or 60 miniature size).
7. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet. Cover with tea towel and let rise in a warm place for 30-45 minutes until doubled.
8. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
9. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and water. Brush onto tops of buns.
10. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool.
11. While buns are cooling, whisk together powdered sugar and milk to form a glaze. Pipe in an “x” pattern on top of buns.
Recipe courtesy of Courtney Whitmore