Lemon Pots de Creme Recipe
Yield: 4-6 servings
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons lemon zest
3 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
3/4 cup superfine sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed and strained
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm cream with lemon zest just until small bubbles appear around edge; do not boil. Remove pan from heat, and let steep for 20 minutes.
2. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325° F. Place four 6-ounce custard cups, ramekins or coffee cups in a small roasting pan.
3. Return pan of cream to stove, and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolk and superfine sugar and pour into simmering cream, whisking constantly until sugar dissolves. Whisk in lemon juice.
5. Remove pan from heat and pour custard through a sieve and into a large measuring cup for easy pouring. Bring a large kettle or pot of water to a boil.
6. Divide custard evenly among four custard cups. Open oven door, pull out oven rack and place roasting pan on rack. Slowly pour boiling water into roasting pan until it reaches about halfway up sides of custard cups. Carefully slide rack back into oven, being careful not to splash water into cups. Bake until just set, about 35-40 minutes.
7. Remove cups from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 2-24 hours before serving.
Note: Top with creme-filled chocolate candies using this easy recipe.